Curated by Xavier Garcia Bardon. Coordinated by Kevin Decoster.
In the context of the Internationaal Fotofestival Knokke-Heist
Sunday May 3, 2009
Zeedijk-Albertstrand 509, 8300 Knokke-Heist
EXPRMNTL is the most important event that has ever been organized for experimental cinema. This amazing festival (five editions between 1949 and 1974), organized in Knokke-le-Zoute in an empty casino between Christmas and New Year, was a key place for experimental film in the critical period of its development, and almost the only meeting point for avant-garde filmmakers for years, the place where experimental movements connected.
But EXPRMNTL was way more than that: it remains a fascinating experience in the history of underground culture. As Jacques Ledoux, its founder and director (who was also the director of the Royal Belgian Film Archive) said: ‘The greatness of Knokke lies in its bringing face to face, not only film makers, but novelists, theatre people, painters, et al. There are not only screenings, but discussions, meetings; it is that which gives Knokke its true interest’. To connect people and ideas, to provoke unexpected meetings (with also an important social and political aspect), was the main project behind EXPRMNTL.
In this isolated place, out of the world, people met, films were screened, happenings happened and scandals broke out: this is where Underground film came to Europe, where Jean-Luc Godard and Agnès Varda saw Jack Smith’s Flaming Creatures, secretly shown in a hotel room; where Yoko Ono did a naked performance with Jean-Jacques Lebel; where German students of the SDS (including Holger Meins, future member of the Rote Armee Fraktion, and Harun Farocki) demonstrated against experimental cinema. EXPRMNTL was an experiment in itself.
In the historical context of the Casino, this programme featuring film screenings, live performances, talks and an exhibition of rare documents related to EXPRMNTL will discuss the history and importance of the festival. It will also offer a rare opportunity to visit the fantastic Magritte zaal - which is usually not open to the public - and to talk with the ghosts of Knokke-le-Zoute.
Meerlaan 32, 8300 Knokke-Heist
13:00 > 20:00
Introduction by Xavier Garcia Bardon
- The Big Shave (Martin Scorsese, USA, 1967, 6’)
- 21/87 (Arthur Lipsett, Canada, 1963, 11')
- Schwechater (Peter Kubelka, Austria, 1957-58, 2’)
- Wavelength (Michael Snow, Canada, 1966-67, 45’)
- CHARLEMAGNE PALESTINE – live performance
- Line Describing a Cone (Anthony McCall, 1973, 30’)
- Le corbeau et le renard (Marcel Broodthaers, Belgium, 1967, 10’) introduced by Maria Gilissen.
- Unedited Material from the Star (John Latham, UK, 1960, 12’)
- Talk Mr Bard (John Latham, UK, 1968, 7’)
- Speak (John Latham, UK, 1968-69, 11’)
- Le Vampire de la Cinémathèque (Roland Lethem, Belgium, 1971, 24’). Live soundtrack by DOLPHINS INTO THE FUTURE. Introduced by Roland Lethem.
- Flaming Creatures (Jack Smith, USA, 1963, 45’)
- Ray Gun Virus (Paul Sharits, USA, 1966, 14‘)
- Pêche de nuit (Henri Chopin, Tjerk Wicky, Luc Peire, France, Switzerland, Belgium, 1963, 12’) introduced by Marc Peire.
- Beatles Electroniques (Nam June Paik & Jud Yalkut, USA, 1966-72, 1992, 3’)
- Towers Open Fire (Anthony Balch & William Burroughs, UK, 1963, 10’)
- Saturnus (Ludo Mich, Belgium, 1971, 30’) introduced by Ludo Mich.
- LUDO MICH – live performance